PCN – Communicating News In Protective Coatings Globally in Real Time
Leading Source of Industry News on Protective Coatings for Oil & Gas, Pipelines, Marine and Construction
NEWSMAKERS: * Akzo Nobel * Carboline * Chiyoda * ExcelPlas * Ichthys * JKC * KBR * Jotun * Sherwin Williams
Carboline Reports Q4 2020 Numbers
Akzo Nobel Present Improved Corrosion Performance of IMM Silicone Coatings Over Epoxy-Phenolic Coatingshttp://cloud.excelplas.com/s/4SpYPWcI3say3os#pdfviewer
Study of Degradation of Stockpiled- Fusion-Bonded Epoxy (FBE)-Coated Pipe
Sherwin-Williams Adds Intumescent Anticorrosion Coating for Onshore Assets
KBR, JKC, Chiyoda Lose Ichthys Appeal but Dispute Continues
Ichthys Contractor Loses $2.5 Billion Court Appeal
The Influence of Soluble Salts Content on the Performance of an Epoxy Coating System via Accelerated Corrosion Tests
Protective Coatings News (PCN) – World News for Coatings and Failure Prevention
Modified Phenolic Resins And Their Compatibility With The Components Of Epoxy-phenolic Protective Coatings
In-Situ SECM Observation of Corrosion Behavior of Carbon Steel at Defects of Epoxy Coating under AC Current Conditions
Polyhedral Oligomeric Silsesquioxane (POSS)/Epoxy Coatings: A Review
Study of the Performance of Carbon Steel Under the Effect of Epoxy/LDH-Zn-Al-NO2- Coating Barrier as Corrosion Inhibitor by EIS
Enhanced Corrosion Resistance and Weathering Resistance of Waterborne Epoxy Coatings
Corrosion Behavior of 5-hydroxytryptophan (HTP)/Epoxy and Clay Particle-Reinforced Epoxy Composite Steel Coatings
Development of Self-Healing Coatings Based on Urea-formaldehyde/Polyurethane Microcapsules Containing Epoxy Resin
Electrochemical, Mechanical and Adhesive Properties of Surface Modified NiO-Epoxy Nanocomposite Coatings on Mild Steel
Organophilic Nano-Alumina for Superhydrophobic Epoxy Coatings
Corrosion Inhibition Properties of Epoxy-Zinc Oxide Nanocomposite Coating on Stainless Steel 316L
Durability and Weathering of Protective Coatings – EXCELPLAS
By accelerating the polymer binder weathering process we can: investigate long-term product development; compare the durability of different coating products or formulations.
We understand the complex degrading effect that heat, light, moisture and stress can have on polymer-based coatings.
We have expertise in:
* degradation and stabilisation mechanisms of protective coatings
* accelerated and natural weathering
* property prediction by modelling
* instrumental analysis
* mechanical and physical assessment
We can assess the influence of weathering on plastics durability, including the effect of ultraviolet radiation and the synergistic effects between ultraviolet radiation, heat and moisture.
By accelerating the plastic weathering process we can:
* investigate long-term product development
* compare the durability of different coating products or formulations
* test coatings to existing Australian and International standards.
We can assist with:
* accurately and independently preparing products to specification, including Australian standards and the Australian Paint Approval Scheme
* monitoring coating application to ensure that all aspects of the specification are complied with, including correct product application, proper surface preparation (e.g. Blast profile) and correct film builds
* investigating all coating-related complaints and providing expert witnesses, report preparation and dispute resolution to a coating problem.
Our laboratory services are accredited by the National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA) and comply with all its requirements for chemical laboratories. NATA-endorsed reports can be issued for many tests. We are also accredited to the main International Organization for Standardization (ISO) standard used by testing and calibration laboratories (ISO 17025).
This newsletter is brought to you by ExcelPlas Coating Labs (http://www.excelplas.com/)
ExcelPlas Labs provides independent testing, analysis and investigation on protective coatings to prevent corrosion.
ExcelPlas has extensive analytical capabilities for testing of Protective Coatings and Insulation Consulting for major oil and gas companies.
We conduct corrosion surveys, coating sampling, coating analysis and testing to ensure coating specifications for a wide range of onshore and offshore clients in Australia and the Asia-Pacific Region.
ExcelPlas Labs offer a full range of coating testing and analytical services to Australia’s mining, oil, gas and infrastructure sectors.
Forensic analysis for undertaking various coating based failure investigations and problem solving.
ExcelPlas Undertakes Analysis & Testing of Polymer Coating Systems including:
• Epoxy Protective Coatings
• Epoxy-Phenolic Protective Coatings
• Fusion bonded epoxy (FBE)
• Dual-Layer Fusion bonded epoxy (DLFBE)
• Liquid applied epoxy (LAE)
• Abrasion resistant overcoat (ARO)
• Three-layer PE (3LPE)
• Multi-component liquid spray (MCL)
• Heat shrink sleeves (HSS)
Testing on Coatings that ExcelPlas can Undertake includes:
• Coating identification by Infra-red Analysis (FTIR)
• Degree of Cure by Thermal Analysis (DSC)
• Coating Filler Identification by X-ray Analysis (EDS/XRD)
• Coating Microstructure by Embedding, Polishing and Optical Microscopy (OM)
• Coating Thermal Stability and Composition by Thermogravimetric Analysis (TGA)
DSC – Phase transition/volatiles / Tg / degree of cure/characterisation
TGA – Volatile compounds, inorganic mass % mix ratio
Element mapping for chlorides on paint flakes
Microscopy -Count layers and thickness of layers
-Assess porosity and voids
-Check distribution and orientation of filler particles
Condition monitoring and analysis of corrosion prevention coatings (epoxies, epoxy-phenolics)
Testing of Epoxy Coatings (LAE, FJC, FBE), heat shrink sleeves and tapes, barrier tapes and meshes.