PCN – Communicating News In Protective Coatings Globally in Real Time
Leading Source of Industry News on Protective Coatings for Oil & Gas, Pipelines, Marine and Construction
NEWSMAKERS: * Cape * Carboline * Chevron * Denso * Duratec * Elcometer * ExcelPlas * Hempel * ICHTHYS * Jotun * NACE * SPC Coatings
Investigation of Hydroabrasive Resistance of Internal Epoxy and Epoxy Phenolic Anticorrosion Coatings Used in the Oil and Gas Industry
Chevron Investigates Self-Healing Protective Coatings for its Oil and Gas Assets
Cape Wins Contract Extension with Saudi Basic Industries Corporation for Coating and Maintenance Work
Critical Questions for Protective Coatings for Asset Protection in Oil& Gas, LNG:
• Why is the coating not stopping corrosion?
• Why is the coating delaminating or blistering?
• Has the coating been correctly specified / applied?
• Does the coating meet the manufacturing standard, including properties such as correct hardness/cure, adhesion and thickness?
• What surface preparation and atmospheric conditions must be achieved to successfully apply the coating?
• Does the coating have any defects in it? How will these affect performance?
• Why did the coating fail? Root cause assessment.
• How can the coating be successfully repaired/remediated so that it doesn’t fail again?
ExcelPlas Labs can answer these questions
Data Management Software for Inspection of Protective Coatings – ElcoMaster®
Revolutionary Coating Inspection Technology
Carboline Launches Series of Podcasts on Protective Coatings
Studies of Corrosion Behaviors of a Carbon Steel with Epoxy Coating with Artificial Defect in 3.5 wt.% NaCl Solution Using the WBE and EIS Techniques
Hempel Investing in Flexibility with Protective Marine Coatings
Hempel Webinar on Protective coatings for the Sub-Sea Market (Wed. Sept. 23)
Hempel Webinar – Incorporating Effective Anti-Fouling Coatings into Offshore Field Developments (Wed. Sept. 16)
ICHTHYS PROJECT MEC 2 PIPING BLAST & PAINT
Jim Kunkle Interviews: Paul Atzemis and Jack Walker, Hosts of the Carboline Tech Service Podcast
Training Video on Soluble Salt Testing by Using Bresle Patch and Conductivity Meter
Improved Defect Detection of Steel Pipelines with Denso Tape Using Guided Wave Testing
This newsletter is brought to you by ExcelPlas Coating Labs (http://www.excelplas.com/)
ExcelPlas Labs provides independent testing, analysis and investigation on protective coatings to prevent corrosion.
ExcelPlas has extensive analytical capabilities for testing of Protective Coatings and Insulation Consulting for major oil and gas companies.
We conduct corrosion surveys, coating sampling, coating analysis and testing to ensure coating specifications for a wide range of onshore and offshore clients in Australia and the Asia-Pacific Region.
ExcelPlas Labs offer a full range of coating testing and analytical services to Australia’s mining, oil, gas and infrastructure sectors.
Forensic analysis for undertaking various coating based failure investigations and problem solving.
ExcelPlas Undertakes Analysis & Testing of Polymer Coating Systems including:
• Epoxy Protective Coatings
• Epoxy-Phenolic Protective Coatings
• Fusion bonded epoxy (FBE)
• Dual-Layer Fusion bonded epoxy (DLFBE)
• Liquid applied epoxy (LAE)
• Abrasion resistant overcoat (ARO)
• Three-layer PE (3LPE)
• Multi-component liquid spray (MCL)
• Heat shrink sleeves (HSS)
Testing on Coatings that ExcelPlas can Undertake includes:
• Coating identification by Infra-red Analysis (FTIR)
• Degree of Cure by Thermal Analysis (DSC)
• Coating Filler Identification by X-ray Analysis (EDS/XRD)
• Coating Microstructure by Embedding, Polishing and Optical Microscopy (OM)
• Coating Thermal Stability and Composition by Thermogravimetric Analysis (TGA)
DSC – Phase transition/volatiles / Tg / degree of cure/characterisation
TGA – Volatile compounds, inorganic mass % mix ratio
Element mapping for chlorides on paint flakes
Microscopy -Count layers and thickness of layers
-Assess porosity and voids
-Check distribution and orientation of filler particles
Condition monitoring and analysis of corrosion prevention coatings (epoxies, epoxy-phenolics)
Testing of Epoxy Coatings (LAE, FJC, FBE), heat shrink sleeves and tapes, barrier tapes and meshes.