PCN – Communicating News In Protective Coatings Globally in Real-Time
Leading Source of Industry News on Protective Coatings for Oil & Gas, Pipelines, Marine and Construction
NEWSMAKERS: * Advanced Polymer Coatings * Akzo Nobel * APC * Anthony Verberght (Carboline) * Axalta Coatings * CADE Engineered Technologies * Carboline * CCS * Ciaran Hehir (Seal-for-Life) * Coating Condition Survey * Corr-Ze 200 Gel * CUI * Enbridge * Ecocleaner Gel * Epoxy-Phenolic Microcracking * ExcelPlas Labs * Failure Analysis * Graphene * Jörg Vogelsang * Joseph Subda (Axalta) * Jotun * LNG Plants * Marine Coatings * MCU Coatings * NACE * PCN * PPG Coatings * Protective Coatings * Salt Spray * Seal-forLife * Sherwin Williams * SIKA * Smart Coatings * Stopaq * Ted Riding (Jotun)
Jotun CUI Coating Expert to Present Online Conference on ‘The Cure for Coating Failures’ (23 FEB 2022)
New Remediation System for Microcracked Epoxy-Phenolic Protective Coatings [PDF]
SHORT COURSE – Corrosion Protection with Organic Coatings – Performance Testing and Requirements for Harsh Environments (24 FEB. 2022)
Salt Spray Vs. Cyclic Corrosion Tests – Axalta’s Coating Expert Explains
How the 2021 Raw Materials Shortage Improved Forecasting for Akzo Nobel Coatings
Carboline Milestone: 75 Years of Coatings and Linings
Veteran with 20 Years Experience in Protective Coatings Named Managing Director of Carboline Europe
Marine Coatings: APC Reports Maritime Sales Up 40% in 2021
Advanced Polymer Coatings Reports Record Growth in a Changing Market
PCN Advertising Works with Incredible Reach! – Download Media Kit in PDF Format
Marine Coatings Systems Explained
ExcelPlas Labs Coating Condition Survey (CCS) for Oil & Gas and LNG Clients
The condition survey provides advice on urgent coating related challenges and creates the foundation for future maintenance planning by advising on causes of possible failure and provides a maintenance coating specification.
A Coating Condition Survey can extend plant operational uptime, reduce long-term maintenance costs and prevent lost revenue. An ExcelPlas Labs coating expert will conduct a survey evaluating the condition of the existing coating system and underlying steel structure.
ExcelPlas Labs Coating Condition Survey (CCS) provides the following information:
- Digital Imaging Inspection (DII) with special incident lighting on the actual condition of the existing coating system including colour shade of the coating.
- Evaluating the type and percentage of defect (example in accordance to ISO 4628-1/5) per main area on the structure and determine the possible cause(s) of failure.
- Evaluating and investigating which environmental factors the coating may have been exposed to, the duration and the effect on coating integrity/service life.
- Checking and reporting dry film thickness (DFT) measurements using statistical grid testing.
- Checking the adhesion/cohesion of the system and report according to ASTM D 3359 (cross-cut test), ISO 16276-2, ASTM D6677 (x-cut test) or the ASTM D4541 Pull-off Test.
- Discontinuity (pinhole) testing and report according to NACE SP 0188/ISO 29601.
- Embedding and Polishing Paint Chips in Epoxy setting compound followed by Scanning Optical Microscopy (SOM) to give a high-resolution image of the full cross-section of the coating highlighting voids, inter-coat delamination, encapsulated rust layers, poor barrier pigment dispersion, microcracks, etc.
- If the generic paint type is unknown, ExcelPlas Labs will determine the paint type using the FTIR spectral analysis.
All inspections and findings are comprehensively and clearly documented with high resolution photograph along with recommendations on what type of maintenance/repair is needed and when.
New Surface Treatment Gel for Treatment of Metals Prior to Applying Protective Coatings
Corr-Ze 200 Gel Rust Removal and Corrosion Prevention Demo Timelapse
UPCOMING NACE PRESENTATIONS
‘The Effects of Different Blast Abrasives on the Performance of Liquid-Applied Epoxy Pipeline Coating’ by Haralampos Tsaprailis (Enbridge Inc.) (12 April 2022)
‘An Epoxy Zinc-Rich Primer for Heavy-Duty Protection and General Industrial’ by Jane Hall (Cloverdale Paint Inc.) (12 April 2022)
‘Sustainable Long Term Asset Integrity’ by Ciaran Hehir (Stopaq Canada) (12 April 2022)
Next Generation of Fusion Bonded Epoxy Coatings, Advanced Moisture and Damage Resistance for Pipelines by Jeffrey D. Rogozinski (The Sherwin Williams Company) (12 April 2022)
Corrosion Experimental Research on Local Damage of Epoxy-Coated Steel Bars in Concrete Under Marine Environment
Solutions for Corrosion Under Insulation | CADE Engineered Technologies
Superior Barrier, Hydrophobic and Mechanical Properties of Multifunctional Nanocomposite Protective Coatings for a Marine Environment
Application of Hierarchical Bonds for Construction an Anti-corrosion Coating with Superior Intrinsic Self-Healing Function
Anticorrosion Superhydrophobic Al2O3@PDMS Coating with Salt Deliquescence Self-Coalescence Behaviour Under High Atmospheric Humidity
Experimental and DFT studies on Corrosion Protection Performance of Epoxy/Graphene Quantum Dots@TiO2 Nanotubes Coatings
ZnO-reduced Graphene Oxide Nanocomposite for Enhanced Anticorrosion Performance of Epoxy Coatings
Correlation Between Low-temperature Anticorrosion Performance and Mechanical Properties of Composite Epoxy Coatings Reinforced by Modified Fe3O4
Corrosion Resistance Mechanism of Mica–Graphene/Epoxy Composite Coating [PDF]
Design, Preparation, and Performance of a Novel Organic–Inorganic Composite Coating with High Adhesion and Protection
Active Anticorrosion and Self-Healing Coatings: a Review with Focus on Multi-Action Smart Coating Strategies
Effect of Surface Modified Nano-SiO2 Particles on Properties of Self-Healing Anti-Corrosion Composite Coating
Eco-Friendly Anticorrosive Epoxy Coating: A Promising Solution for Steel Protection in the Marine Environment
Smart Epoxy Coating with Mesoporous Silica Nanoparticles Loaded with Calcium Phosphate for Corrosion Protection
Akzo Nobel Seeking Technical Services Manager – Marine and Protective Coatings
Akzo Nobel Seeking Technical Service Representative Marine and Protective Coatings
COATINGS FAILURE ANALYSIS
Failure Analysis and Investigation of Protective Coatings in Mining, Marine Offshore Oil & Gas Chemical Plants, Energy Infrastructure and Bridges (Ask the Experts)
Critical Questions for Protective Coatings for Asset Protection in Oil & Gas, LNG:
- Why is the coating not stopping corrosion?
- Why is the coating delaminating or blistering?
- Has the coating been correctly specified / applied?
- Does the coating meet the manufacturing standard, including properties such as correct hardness/cure, adhesion and thickness?
- What surface preparation and atmospheric conditions must be achieved to successfully apply the coating?
- Does the coating have any defects in it? How will these affect performance?
- Why did the coating fail? Root cause assessment.
- How can the coating be successfully repaired/remediated so that it doesn’t fail again?
ExcelPlas Labs can answer these questions
MARKETING YOUR BRAND
PCN – Communicate Your Message Instantly with the Entire Global Protective Coatings Community
PCN is ideal for monitoring competitor activity and providing market intelligence
This newsletter is brought to you by ExcelPlas Coating Labs (http://www.excelplas.com/)
ExcelPlas Labs provides independent testing, analysis and investigation on protective coatings to prevent corrosion.
ExcelPlas has extensive analytical capabilities for testing of Protective Coatings and Insulation Consulting for major oil and gas companies.
We conduct corrosion surveys, coating sampling, coating analysis and testing to ensure coating specifications for a wide range of onshore and offshore clients in Australia and the Asia-Pacific Region.
ExcelPlas Labs offer a full range of coating testing and analytical services to Australia’s mining, oil, gas and infrastructure sectors.
Forensic analysis for undertaking various coating based failure investigations and problem solving.
ExcelPlas Undertakes Analysis & Testing of Polymer Coating Systems including:
- Epoxy Protective Coatings
- Epoxy-Phenolic Protective Coatings
- Fusion bonded epoxy (FBE)
- Dual-Layer Fusion bonded epoxy (DLFBE)
- Liquid applied epoxy (LAE)
- Abrasion resistant overcoat (ARO)
- Three-layer PE (3LPE)
- Multi-component liquid spray (MCL)
- Heat shrink sleeves (HSS)
Testing on Coatings that ExcelPlas can Undertake includes:
- Coating identification by Infra-red Analysis (FTIR)
- Degree of Cure by Thermal Analysis (DSC)
- Coating Filler Identification by X-ray Analysis (EDS/XRD)
- Coating Microstructure by Embedding, Polishing and Optical Microscopy (OM)
- Coating Thermal Stability and Composition by Thermogravimetric Analysis (TGA)
DSC – Phase transition/volatiles / Tg / degree of cure/characterisation
TGA – Volatile compounds, inorganic mass % mix ratio
Element mapping for chlorides on paint flakes
Microscopy -Count layers and thickness of layers
- Assess porosity and voids
- Check distribution and orientation of filler particles
Condition monitoring and analysis of corrosion prevention coatings (epoxies, epoxy-phenolics)
Testing of Epoxy Coatings (LAE, FJC, FBE), heat shrink sleeves and tapes, barrier tapes and meshes.
PCN is owned and operated by ExcelPlas Pty Ltd. By subscribing to PCN you agree to receiving regular PCN newsletters as well as the PCN platform using your email contact details to enhance the performance and functionality of PCN and its analytics reports. These email contact details allow PCN to track page views and create more targeted and relevant content. PCN provides an unsubscribe link on the bottom of each PCN newsletter.