PCN – Communicating News In Protective Coatings Globally in Real Time
Leading Source of Industry News on Protective Coatings for Oil & Gas, Pipelines, Marine and Construction
NEWSMAKERS: * Akzo Nobel * Aramco * Chugoku * EonCoat * ExcelPlas * International Paints * Jotun * Nippon Paint * Wuthelam
Singapore’s Wuthelam Group Buys Out Nippon Paint
Aramco Shelves 20b Petrochenical Plan After Oil Crash
Akzo Nobel Gives 3Q Financial Update
Smart Coatings to Bring Next Level High-Performance Enclosures
Understanding and Use of Glass Flake in High Build Epoxy Coatings
“Sweating” Pipeline Is No Sweat for EonCoat
Chugoku Smart Coatings Bring Next Level High-Performance to Cargo Tanks
Mediterranean Shipping Company Installs Jotun’s Hull Cleaning Robots
Jotun Unveils Robotic Cleaning Technology
Superior Anticorrosion Performance of Epoxy-based Coatings with Melamine-Modified Graphene Oxide
Wettability and Anti-Corrosion Performances of Carbon Nanotube-Silane Composite Coatings
Salt Crystallization-Assisted Degradation of Epoxy Coatings in Simulated Marine Environments
Fabrication of Hollow Carbon Spheres Doped with Zinc Cations for Corrosion Protection of Organosilane Coatings
Evaluation of the Cathodic Disbondment Resistance of Pipeline Coatings – A Review
Critical Questions for Protective Coatings for Asset Protection in Oil& Gas, LNG:
• Why is the coating not stopping corrosion?
• Why is the coating delaminating or blistering?
• Has the coating been correctly specified / applied?
• Does the coating meet the manufacturing standard, including properties such as correct hardness/cure, adhesion and thickness?
• What surface preparation and atmospheric conditions must be achieved to successfully apply the coating?
• Does the coating have any defects in it? How will these affect performance?
• Why did the coating fail? Root cause assessment.
• How can the coating be successfully repaired/remediated so that it doesn’t fail again?
ExcelPlas Labs can answer these questions
Health Check on Protective Coatings
ExcelPlas Labs have been serving the gas, oil and water industries for the past 20 years within Australia, New Zealand and Oceania. The company is a major testing provider to the pipeline and LNG industry. Whether you’re an engineer, consultant, pipeline owner, pipeline operator, LNG facility or construction company, ExcelPlas Labs can conduct a range of analytical testing on protective coatings to assess their condition, integrity and durability. ExcelPlas Labs have extensive in-house coatings testing equipment such as DSC, FTIR, TGA, TMA, EIS, SOM, XRD, QUV etc.
ExcelPlas Labs – The Leaders in Evaluation and Assessment of Protective Coatings
Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy (EIS) is a powerful and sensitive tool to detect the condition of a coated metal. This technique can generate quantitative data relating to the quality of a barrier coating and the plot of data can be used to indicate the status of coating long before any visible damage occurs. EIS can also be used as a post-evaluation tool to indicate the barrier property or any change in the coating after the test exposure, such as QUV exposure, Autoclave test, Atlas Cell test, Salt Fog or Immersion test, etc. Examination of the cross section for porosity/voids in the coating vis optical microscopy. High levels of porosity can lead to internal weakness and stress cracking (can also obtain film thickness at the same time, SEM/EDXA of the underside to look for potential contamination such as chlorides, DSC to determine Tg and residual exotherm of cure, IR for positive material identification with comparison to reference authentic material, Nitrogen Analysis for base to hardener Mix ratio.
More Protective Coatings News (Free Subscriptions)
This newsletter is brought to you by ExcelPlas Coating Labs (http://www.excelplas.com/)
ExcelPlas Labs provides independent testing, analysis and investigation on protective coatings to prevent corrosion.
ExcelPlas has extensive analytical capabilities for testing of Protective Coatings and Insulation Consulting for major oil and gas companies.
We conduct corrosion surveys, coating sampling, coating analysis and testing to ensure coating specifications for a wide range of onshore and offshore clients in Australia and the Asia-Pacific Region.
ExcelPlas Labs offer a full range of coating testing and analytical services to Australia’s mining, oil, gas and infrastructure sectors.
Forensic analysis for undertaking various coating based failure investigations and problem solving.
ExcelPlas Undertakes Analysis & Testing of Polymer Coating Systems including:
• Epoxy Protective Coatings
• Epoxy-Phenolic Protective Coatings
• Fusion bonded epoxy (FBE)
• Dual-Layer Fusion bonded epoxy (DLFBE)
• Liquid applied epoxy (LAE)
• Abrasion resistant overcoat (ARO)
• Three-layer PE (3LPE)
• Multi-component liquid spray (MCL)
• Heat shrink sleeves (HSS)
Testing on Coatings that ExcelPlas can Undertake includes:
• Coating identification by Infra-red Analysis (FTIR)
• Degree of Cure by Thermal Analysis (DSC)
• Coating Filler Identification by X-ray Analysis (EDS/XRD)
• Coating Microstructure by Embedding, Polishing and Optical Microscopy (OM)
• Coating Thermal Stability and Composition by Thermogravimetric Analysis (TGA)
DSC – Phase transition/volatiles / Tg / degree of cure/characterisation
TGA – Volatile compounds, inorganic mass % mix ratio
Element mapping for chlorides on paint flakes
Microscopy -Count layers and thickness of layers
-Assess porosity and voids
-Check distribution and orientation of filler particles
Condition monitoring and analysis of corrosion prevention coatings (epoxies, epoxy-phenolics)
Testing of Epoxy Coatings (LAE, FJC, FBE), heat shrink sleeves and tapes, barrier tapes and meshes.