PCN – Communicating News In Protective Coatings Globally in Real-Time
Leading Source of Industry News on Protective Coatings for Oil & Gas, Pipelines, Marine and Construction
NEWSMAKERS: * Akzo Nobel * APC * Carboline * Coating Condition Survey * CUI * Epoxy-Phenolic Microcracking * ExcelPlas Labs * Failure Analysis * Graphene * Humidur® * Jotun * LNG Plants * Marine Coatings * Nanotube * OCSiAl * PCN * PPG Coatings * Protective Coatings * Salt Spray * Seal-forLife * Smart Coatings * Stopaq * Sherwin Williams * Ted Riding (Jotun)
‘The Cure for Coating Failures’ (Video of Jotun Presentation by Ted Riding)
Never Again: The Case of Cracking Paint on a Steel Cargo Container
Seeking Lead QA Advisor for Ichthys LNG for QA/QC on Humidur™ and STOPAQ™ Application
Stopaq Publishes New Application Manual [PDF]
How Faster Throughput Pipe Coatings Can Shave Days Off Application
PPG Industries Liable for Water Pollution at Pennsylvania Site
Ironically PPG Named to Corporate Knights’ CLEAN200 List as Top Producer of Sustainable Paints and Coatings
ExcelPlas is an Independent Coating Consultancy with a Unique and Comprehensive Understanding of Protective Coatings in the LNG, Oil & Gas, Mining, Infrastructure and Marine Sectors
OCSiAl Receives Greenlight for €300m Graphene Nanotube Facility Project
AkzoNobel to Scale-up In-house Production of Resins
The investment is expected to contribute around €15 to €20 million in EBITDA by 2023
Reach a Global Protective Coating’s Audience – Advertise with PCN – Download Media Kit
Thermally Triggered Self-Healing Epoxy Coating Towards Sustained Anti-Corrosion
Novel Multilayer Epoxy Nanocomposite Coatings for Superior Hydrophobic, Mechanical and Corrosion Protection Properties of Steel
Using Corrosion Current Density to Study the Corrosion Protection of Epoxy-Glass Flake Coatings
Preparation of Linseed Oil-Loaded Porous Glass Bubble/Wax Microcapsules for Corrosion- and Wear-Resistant Epoxy Coatings
Inhibitors Incorporated into Water-Based Epoxy Coatings on Metals for Corrosion Protection: A Review
Anti–Corrosion and Self-Healing Coatings with Polyaniline/Epoxy copolymer–Urea–Formaldehyde Microcapsules for Rusty Steel Sheets
Improvement of the Physicomechanical and Corrosion-Protective Properties of Coatings Based on a Cycloaliphatic Epoxy Matrix
High Water and Oxygen Reactivity inducing Excellent Anti-Corrosive Performance in Ti2CTx/Epoxy Composite Coating
Nanomechanical and Electrochemical Properties of ZnO-Nanoparticle-Filled Epoxy Coating
Two Preparation Processes for Anti-Corrosion and Self-healing Epoxy Coatings Containing the Poly (Calcium Alginate) Microcapsules Loaded with Tung Oil
Verification of the Influence of Particle Shape on the Chemical Resistance of Epoxy Coating and Use of Waste Glass as the Filler
Ultrastable Porous Covalent Organic Framework Assembled Carbon Nanotube as a Novel Nanocontainer for Anti-Corrosion Coatings
ExcelPlas Labs Coating Condition Survey (CCS) for Oil & Gas and LNG Clients
The condition survey provides advice on urgent coating related challenges and creates the foundation for future maintenance planning by advising on causes of possible failure and provides a maintenance coating specification.
A Coating Condition Survey can extend plant operational uptime, reduce long-term maintenance costs and prevent lost revenue. An ExcelPlas Labs coating expert will conduct a survey evaluating the condition of the existing coating system and underlying steel structure.
ExcelPlas Labs Coating Condition Survey (CCS) provides the following information:
- Digital Imaging Inspection (DII) with special incident lighting on the actual condition of the existing coating system including colour shade of the coating.
- Evaluating the type and percentage of defect (example in accordance to ISO 4628-1/5) per main area on the structure and determine the possible cause(s) of failure.
- Evaluating and investigating which environmental factors the coating may have been exposed to, the duration and the effect on coating integrity/service life.
- Checking and reporting dry film thickness (DFT) measurements using statistical grid testing.
- Checking the adhesion/cohesion of the system and report according to ASTM D 3359 (cross-cut test), ISO 16276-2, ASTM D6677 (x-cut test) or the ASTM D4541 Pull-off Test.
- Discontinuity (pinhole) testing and report according to NACE SP 0188/ISO 29601.
- Embedding and Polishing Paint Chips in Epoxy setting compound followed by Scanning Optical Microscopy (SOM) to give a high-resolution image of the full cross-section of the coating highlighting voids, inter-coat delamination, encapsulated rust layers, poor barrier pigment dispersion, microcracks, etc.
- If the generic paint type is unknown, ExcelPlas Labs will determine the paint type using the FTIR spectral analysis.
All inspections and findings are comprehensively and clearly documented with high resolution photograph along with recommendations on what type of maintenance/repair is needed and when.
COATINGS FAILURE ANALYSIS
Failure Analysis and Investigation of Protective Coatings in Mining, Marine Offshore Oil & Gas Chemical Plants, Energy Infrastructure and Bridges (Ask the Experts)
Critical Questions for Protective Coatings for Asset Protection in Oil & Gas, LNG:
- Why is the coating not stopping corrosion?
- Why is the coating delaminating or blistering?
- Has the coating been correctly specified / applied?
- Does the coating meet the manufacturing standard, including properties such as correct hardness/cure, adhesion and thickness?
- What surface preparation and atmospheric conditions must be achieved to successfully apply the coating?
- Does the coating have any defects in it? How will these affect performance?
- Why did the coating fail? Root cause assessment.
- How can the coating be successfully repaired/remediated so that it doesn’t fail again?
ExcelPlas Labs can answer these questions
MARKETING YOUR BRAND
PCN – Communicate Your Message Instantly with the Entire Global Protective Coatings Community
PCN is ideal for monitoring competitor activity and providing market intelligence
This newsletter is brought to you by ExcelPlas Coating Labs (http://www.excelplas.com/)
ExcelPlas Labs provides independent testing, analysis and investigation on protective coatings to prevent corrosion.
ExcelPlas has extensive analytical capabilities for testing of Protective Coatings and Insulation Consulting for major oil and gas companies.
We conduct corrosion surveys, coating sampling, coating analysis and testing to ensure coating specifications for a wide range of onshore and offshore clients in Australia and the Asia-Pacific Region.
ExcelPlas Labs offer a full range of coating testing and analytical services to Australia’s mining, oil, gas and infrastructure sectors.
Forensic analysis for undertaking various coating based failure investigations and problem solving.
ExcelPlas Undertakes Analysis & Testing of Polymer Coating Systems including:
- Epoxy Protective Coatings
- Epoxy-Phenolic Protective Coatings
- Fusion bonded epoxy (FBE)
- Dual-Layer Fusion bonded epoxy (DLFBE)
- Liquid applied epoxy (LAE)
- Abrasion resistant overcoat (ARO)
- Three-layer PE (3LPE)
- Multi-component liquid spray (MCL)
- Heat shrink sleeves (HSS)
Testing on Coatings that ExcelPlas can Undertake includes:
- Coating identification by Infra-red Analysis (FTIR)
- Degree of Cure by Thermal Analysis (DSC)
- Coating Filler Identification by X-ray Analysis (EDS/XRD)
- Coating Microstructure by Embedding, Polishing and Optical Microscopy (OM)
- Coating Thermal Stability and Composition by Thermogravimetric Analysis (TGA)
DSC – Phase transition/volatiles / Tg / degree of cure/characterisation
TGA – Volatile compounds, inorganic mass % mix ratio
Element mapping for chlorides on paint flakes
Microscopy -Count layers and thickness of layers
- Assess porosity and voids
- Check distribution and orientation of filler particles
Condition monitoring and analysis of corrosion prevention coatings (epoxies, epoxy-phenolics)
Testing of Epoxy Coatings (LAE, FJC, FBE), heat shrink sleeves and tapes, barrier tapes and meshes.
PCN is owned and operated by ExcelPlas Pty Ltd. By subscribing to PCN you agree to receiving regular PCN newsletters as well as the PCN platform using your email contact details to enhance the performance and functionality of PCN and its analytics reports. These email contact details allow PCN to track page views and create more targeted and relevant content. PCN provides an unsubscribe link on the bottom of each PCN newsletter.