PCN – Communicating News In Protective Coatings Globally in Real-Time
Leading Source of Industry News on Protective Coatings for Oil & Gas, Pipelines, Marine and Construction
NEWSMAKERS: * Acotec * Akzo Nobel * APC * Carboline * Coating Condition Survey * CUI * Epoxy-Phenolic Microcracking * ExcelPlas Labs * Failure Analysis * Graphene * Hempadur® * Humidur® WF22 * Jotun * LNG Plants * Marine Coatings * Olympic Antifouling Coating * PCN * Protective Coatings * Smart Coatings * Wi-Corr®
Belgian Anti-corrosion Coating Company Acotec launches Humidur® WF22, a New Special One-layer Protective Coating That Even Cures Under Water
Grow & Deliver Strategy on Track: AkzoNobel Publishes 2021 Annual Report
Wi-Corr® CUI – Corrosion Under Insulation Monitoring
Hempel Actions to Support Ukraine Crisis
Jotun Publish Guide to CUI
Jotun Address 6 Myths About the Extreme Environments of Onshore Oil and Gas
Quantitative Coating Quality Assessment on an Offshore Platform
Hempel Delivers Solid 2021 Full-Year Results
Hempel Boosts Revenue Through Organic Growth and Acquisitions
Nomination of Lars Petersson as New Board Member and Deputy Chair of Hempel
Hempel’s Antifouling Olympic 7660C Tin-Free Ablative Bottom Coating
Hempel Introduces Hempadur® Easy 47700 High-Build, Pure Epoxy Coating
Corrosion Under Insulation Gets Attention at CPI sites
ExcelPlas is an Independent Coating Consultancy with a Unique and Comprehensive Understanding of Protective Coatings in the LNG, Oil & Gas, Mining, Infrastructure and Marine Sectors
Novel pH-Responsive Self-Healing Anti-Corrosion Coating with High Barrier and Corrosion Inhibitor Loading Based on Reduced Graphene Oxide Loaded Zeolite Imidazole Framework
Yttrium Doped ZnO Nanoparticles Towards Corrosion Protection Epoxy Nanocomposite Coatings in Neutral and Acidic Medium
Investigation of Various Coating Resins for Optimal Anticorrosion and Mechanical Properties of Mild Steel Surface in NaCl Solution
Effect on the Surface Anticorrosion and Corrosion Protection Mechanism of Integrated Rust Conversion Coating for Enhanced Corrosion Protection
Siloxane Coating with Epoxy Modification: Optimization of Adhesion to Improve Steel Corrosion Protection
Reach a Global Protective Coating’s Audience – Advertise with PCN – Download Media Kit
ExcelPlas Labs Coating Condition Survey (CCS) for Oil & Gas and LNG Clients
The condition survey provides advice on urgent coating related challenges and creates the foundation for future maintenance planning by advising on causes of possible failure and provides a maintenance coating specification.
A Coating Condition Survey can extend plant operational uptime, reduce long-term maintenance costs and prevent lost revenue. An ExcelPlas Labs coating expert will conduct a survey evaluating the condition of the existing coating system and underlying steel structure.
ExcelPlas Labs Coating Condition Survey (CCS) provides the following information:
- Digital Imaging Inspection (DII) with special incident lighting on the actual condition of the existing coating system including colour shade of the coating.
- Evaluating the type and percentage of defect (example in accordance to ISO 4628-1/5) per main area on the structure and determine the possible cause(s) of failure.
- Evaluating and investigating which environmental factors the coating may have been exposed to, the duration and the effect on coating integrity/service life.
- Checking and reporting dry film thickness (DFT) measurements using statistical grid testing.
- Checking the adhesion/cohesion of the system and report according to ASTM D 3359 (cross-cut test), ISO 16276-2, ASTM D6677 (x-cut test) or the ASTM D4541 Pull-off Test.
- Discontinuity (pinhole) testing and report according to NACE SP 0188/ISO 29601.
- Embedding and Polishing Paint Chips in Epoxy setting compound followed by Scanning Optical Microscopy (SOM) to give a high-resolution image of the full cross-section of the coating highlighting voids, inter-coat delamination, encapsulated rust layers, poor barrier pigment dispersion, microcracks, etc.
- If the generic paint type is unknown, ExcelPlas Labs will determine the paint type using the FTIR spectral analysis.
All inspections and findings are comprehensively and clearly documented with high resolution photograph along with recommendations on what type of maintenance/repair is needed and when.
COATINGS FAILURE ANALYSIS
Failure Analysis and Investigation of Protective Coatings in Mining, Marine Offshore Oil & Gas Chemical Plants, Energy Infrastructure and Bridges (Ask the Experts)
This newsletter is brought to you by ExcelPlas Coating Labs (http://www.excelplas.com/)
ExcelPlas Labs provides independent testing, analysis and investigation on protective coatings to prevent corrosion.
ExcelPlas has extensive analytical capabilities for testing of Protective Coatings and Insulation Consulting for major oil and gas companies.
We conduct corrosion surveys, coating sampling, coating analysis and testing to ensure coating specifications for a wide range of onshore and offshore clients in Australia and the Asia-Pacific Region.
ExcelPlas Labs offer a full range of coating testing and analytical services to Australia’s mining, oil, gas and infrastructure sectors.
Forensic analysis for undertaking various coating based failure investigations and problem solving.
ExcelPlas Undertakes Analysis & Testing of Polymer Coating Systems including:
- Epoxy Protective Coatings
- Epoxy-Phenolic Protective Coatings
- Fusion bonded epoxy (FBE)
- Dual-Layer Fusion bonded epoxy (DLFBE)
- Liquid applied epoxy (LAE)
- Abrasion resistant overcoat (ARO)
- Three-layer PE (3LPE)
- Multi-component liquid spray (MCL)
- Heat shrink sleeves (HSS)
Testing on Coatings that ExcelPlas can Undertake includes:
- Coating identification by Infra-red Analysis (FTIR)
- Degree of Cure by Thermal Analysis (DSC)
- Coating Filler Identification by X-ray Analysis (EDS/XRD)
- Coating Microstructure by Embedding, Polishing and Optical Microscopy (OM)
- Coating Thermal Stability and Composition by Thermogravimetric Analysis (TGA)
DSC – Phase transition/volatiles / Tg / degree of cure/characterisation
TGA – Volatile compounds, inorganic mass % mix ratio
Element mapping for chlorides on paint flakes
Microscopy -Count layers and thickness of layers
- Assess porosity and voids
- Check distribution and orientation of filler particles
Condition monitoring and analysis of corrosion prevention coatings (epoxies, epoxy-phenolics)
Testing of Epoxy Coatings (LAE, FJC, FBE), heat shrink sleeves and tapes, barrier tapes and meshes.
PCN is owned and operated by ExcelPlas Pty Ltd. By subscribing to PCN you agree to receiving regular PCN newsletters as well as the PCN platform using your email contact details to enhance the performance and functionality of PCN and its analytics reports. These email contact details allow PCN to track page views and create more targeted and relevant content. PCN provides an unsubscribe link on the bottom of each PCN newsletter.