PCN – Communicating News In Protective Coatings Globally in Real-Time
Leading Source of Industry News on Protective Coatings for Oil & Gas, Pipelines, Marine and Construction
NEWSMAKERS: * AI * Akzo Nobel * Berger * Coating Condition Survey * Chugoku Marine Paints * CMP * Drone Inspection * ExcelPlas Labs * Epoxy Phenolic Coatings * Failure Analysis * FBE * Hempel * JKC * Jotun * INPEX * Ichthys * Intertherm 228 * LNG * PCN * PPG * Protective Coatings * Self-Healing Coatings * Smart Coatings
FEDERAL COURT OF AUSTRALIA – JKC Australia LNG Pty Ltd v AkzoNobel NV ( FCA 456
Judge Orders Discovery of Legal Advice in Spat Over Intertherm 228 on $45B Ichthys LNG Project
Atmospheric Corrosion Detection of LNG Assets with Artificial Intelligence (Special Feature)
Jotun Hellas Launches Aerial Drone Inspection Service
AkzoNobel’s First Quarter Volumes Above Expectation with Robust Pricing; Europe Resilient and China Rebounding
Hempel is Recognized as Supplier Engagement Leader by CDP
PPG Board of Directors recognized as ‘Public Company Board of the Year’
Berger Launches Marine, Industrial Coatings from CMP
New Epoxy and Hardener System Based on an Imidazolium Ionic Liquid as an Anticorrosive Coating for Steel in the Marine Environment
Towards Weathering and Corrosion Resistant, Self-Warning and Self-Healing Epoxy Coatings with Tannic Acid Loaded Nanocontainers
Sulfonated Polyaniline-Grafted Two-Dimensional Ti3C2-MXene Nanoplatform for Designing an Advanced Smart Self-Healable Coating System
Sodium Lignosulfonate-Loaded Halloysite Nanotubes/Epoxy Composites for Corrosion Resistance Coating
An Insight on the Corrosive Performance of Acrylic-Epoxy Based Coatings: the Significance of Electrochemical Impedance Evaluations (EIS)
Anticorrosion and Antibacterial Properties of Al NP–Epoxy Nanocomposite Coating on Grey Cast Iron
Epoxy Nanocomposites Holding Molybdenum Disulfide Decorated with Covalent Organic Framework: All-in-one Coatings Featuring Thermal, UV-Shielding, and Mechanical Properties
Photothermal Healing Performance of a Metal Protection Coating
Polymer-Based Coating for Steel Protection, Highlighting Metal–Organic Framework as Functional Actives: A Review
Enhancement of Corrosion Resistance of Epoxy Resin with Polyaniline–Silica Gel Hybrid
Study of Performance Parameters of Fusion Bonded Epoxy (FBE) Coated Steel Reinforcing Bars
Acrylate-Modified Aqueous Polyurethane Based on Oxime–Carbamate Structure with Transparent, Healable, and Fluorescent Properties
Exploring Epoxy Coating Failures with ExcelPlas
While epoxy coatings are generally durable and effective at preventing corrosion, there are a few common types of epoxy coating failures that can occur:
- Adhesion failure: This occurs when the epoxy coating fails to properly adhere to the surface of the pipe, which can be caused by factors such as improper surface preparation or a poorly formulated coating. Adhesion failure can result in the coating peeling or flaking off, exposing the underlying steel surface to corrosion.
- Blistering: This occurs when small bubbles or blisters form on the surface of the epoxy coating, which can be caused by improper surface preparation, moisture contamination, or excessive heat during curing.
- Cracking: This occurs when the epoxy coating develops small cracks, which can be caused by factors such as thermal expansion and contraction, improper coating thickness, or exposure to chemicals.
- Delamination: This occurs due to intercoat or interfacial adhesion failure due to the presence of a weak boundary layer such as silicone or hydrocarbon oil contamination.
COATINGS FAILURE ANALYSIS
Failure Analysis and Investigation of Protective Coatings in Mining, Marine Offshore Oil & Gas Chemical Plants, Energy Infrastructure and Bridges (Ask the Experts)
Critical Questions for Protective Coatings for Asset Protection in Oil & Gas, LNG:
- Why is the coating not stopping corrosion?
- Why is the coating delaminating or blistering?
- Has the coating been correctly specified / applied?
- Does the coating meet the manufacturing standard, including properties such as correct hardness/cure, adhesion and thickness?
- What surface preparation and atmospheric conditions must be achieved to successfully apply the coating?
- Does the coating have any defects in it? How will these affect performance?
- Why did the coating fail? Root cause assessment.
- How can the coating be successfully repaired/remediated so that it doesn’t fail again?
ExcelPlas Labs can answer these questions and more…
MARKETING YOUR BRAND
PCN – Communicate Your Message Instantly with the Entire Global Protective Coatings Community
PCN is ideal for monitoring competitor activity and providing market intelligence
This newsletter is brought to you by ExcelPlas Coating Labs (http://www.excelplas.com/)
ExcelPlas Labs provides independent testing, analysis, and investigation on protective coatings to prevent corrosion.
ExcelPlas has extensive analytical capabilities for testing of Protective Coatings and Insulation Consulting for major oil and gas companies.
We conduct corrosion surveys, coating sampling, coating analysis, and testing to ensure coating specifications for a wide range of onshore and offshore clients in Australia and the Asia-Pacific Region.
ExcelPlas Labs offer a full range of coating testing and analytical services to Australia’s mining, oil, gas, and infrastructure sectors.
Forensic analysis for undertaking various coating-based failure investigations and problem-solving.
ExcelPlas Undertakes Analysis & Testing of Polymer Coating Systems including:
- Epoxy Protective Coatings
- Epoxy-Phenolic Protective Coatings
- Fusion bonded epoxy (FBE)
- Dual-Layer Fusion bonded epoxy (DLFBE)
- Liquid applied epoxy (LAE)
- Abrasion-resistant overcoat (ARO)
- Three-layer PE (3LPE)
- Multi-component liquid spray (MCL)
- Heat shrink sleeves (HSS)
Testing on Coatings that ExcelPlas can Undertake includes:
- Coating identification by Infra-red Analysis (FTIR)
- Degree of Cure by Thermal Analysis (DSC)
- Coating Filler Identification by X-ray Analysis (EDS/XRD)
- Coating Microstructure by Embedding, Polishing, and Optical Microscopy (OM)
- Coating Thermal Stability and Composition by Thermogravimetric Analysis (TGA)
DSC – Phase transition/volatiles / Tg / degree of cure/characterisation
TGA – Volatile compounds, inorganic mass % mix ratio
Element mapping for chlorides on paint flakes
Microscopy -Count layers and thickness of layers
- Assess porosity and voids
- Check distribution and orientation of filler particles
Condition monitoring and analysis of corrosion prevention coatings (epoxies, epoxy-phenolics)
Testing of Epoxy Coatings (LAE, FJC, FBE), heat shrink sleeves and tapes, barrier tapes, and meshes.
PCN is owned and operated by ExcelPlas Pty Ltd. By subscribing to PCN you agree to receive regular PCN newsletters as well as the PCN platform using your email contact details to enhance the performance and functionality of PCN and its analytics reports. These email contact details allow PCN to track page views and create more targeted and relevant content. PCN provides an unsubscribe link at the bottom of each PCN newsletter.