PCN – Communicating News In Protective Coatings Globally in Real-Time
Leading Source of Industry News on Protective Coatings for Oil & Gas, Pipelines, Marine and Construction
NEWSMAKERS: * Coating Condition Survey * Corrosion Under Insulation * CUI * ExcelPlas Labs * Epoxy Coatings * Failure Analysis * Graphene * Hempel * Jotun * LNG * Nilay Yilmaz * PCN * Protective Coatings * Self-Healing Coatings * Smart Coatings * ZenARMOR™ * Zentek * Zinc Silicate
Court Case on Failure of Protective Coating
SE Bridge was paid to complete and/or re-work the zinc silicate coating. Etcheverry’s report shows not enough zinc silicate coating was applied. Costa was able to see where there was missing zinc silica based on the condition of the metalized coating on the photos in Bolton’s punchlist. Additionally, MTS used an inconsistent procedure for overcoating — in some instances epoxy coating was applied first, while in others the zinc silicate coating was applied first.
Jotun’s Role Model at the Shipyard for Coatings
After being turned down twice by a competing company, Nilay Yilmaz (28) landed a job in Jotun Turkey and became the first female coating advisor in the country. Now her colleagues hope to see more women at the busy shipyards.
Asyad Drydock Applies High-Quality Nano-Epoxy Silicone (NES) Coating on Asyad Shipping’s Ultramax Bulk Carrier Jabal Al Kawr
Asyad Drydock, part of Asyad Group, announced the successful application of high-quality nano-epoxy coating on Asyad Shipping’s Ultramax bulk carrier, Jabal Al Kawr. The brand-new coating technology was applied for the first time in the Middle East, and the second globally, on Minoa Marine’s MV Julia earlier this year at Asyad Drydock’s world-class facilities in Duqm, Oman, according to the company’s release.
Capitalizing on Asyad Drydock’s premium ship-servicing capabilities and state-of-the-art technologies, Asyad Shipping commissioned the application of the ecofriendly nano-epoxy silicone coating solution on its Ultramax bulk carrier, Jabal Al Kawr.
New Graphene Anticorrosion Coating ZenARMOR™ Awarded R&D Contracts
Zentek Ltd., a graphene technology development and commercialization company have been awarded a research and development contract to test their ZenARMOR nano-pigment for military grade, chromate-free, corrosion protection aerospace paint systems.
Special Feature – Polymeric Capsules as Nanocontainers in Surface Coatings [PDF]
Epoxy Coating Modification with Metal Nanoparticles to Improve the Anticorrosion, Migration, and Antibacterial Properties
Study on the Self-Repairing Effect of Nanoclay in Epoxy Coatings for Corrosion Protection
Epoxy Composite Coating with Smart Corrosion Resistance Based on 2-Phenylbenzimidazole-5-sulfonic Acid/Layered Double Hydroxide Composite
Carbon Nanotube-Based Epoxy Coating Nanocomposites: Evaluation of Barrier, Hydrophobic, and Mechanical Properties for Coating Applications
The Combined Effect of Direct Current Polarization, Ultraviolet Radiation, and Saline Immersion on the Degradation of an Epoxy Coating
Effects of the Ratio of Nano-Cu to Hydroxylated MWCNTs on Anticorrosion and Surface Conductivity of Cu/MWCNT Epoxy Coatings on a Steel Substrate
Epoxy Composite Coating with Excellent Anti-Corrosion and Self-Healing Properties Based on Mesoporous Silica Nano-Containers
Durable Self-Healing Epoxy Coating Based on pH-Responsive Core-Shell Nanostructures
Corrosion Inhibition Performance of Epoxy Coatings Containing Carbon Nanocapsules Loaded with Diethylenetriamine (DETA)
Corrosion Resistance of CeO2-GO/Epoxy Nanocomposite Coating in Simulated Seawater
Corrosion Protection Mechanism Study of Nitrite-Modified CaAl-LDH in Epoxy Coatings
Preparation of MXene/EP Coatings for Promising Anticorrosion and Super-low Friction Properties
Highly-Transparent Fluorinated Epoxy Coatings
Exploring Epoxy Coating Failures with ExcelPlas
While epoxy coatings are generally durable and effective at preventing corrosion, there are a few common types of epoxy coating failures that can occur:
- Adhesion failure: This occurs when the epoxy coating fails to properly adhere to the surface of the pipe, which can be caused by factors such as improper surface preparation or a poorly formulated coating. Adhesion failure can result in the coating peeling or flaking off, exposing the underlying steel surface to corrosion.
- Blistering: This occurs when small bubbles or blisters form on the surface of the epoxy coating, which can be caused by improper surface preparation, moisture contamination, or excessive heat during curing.
- Cracking: This occurs when the epoxy coating develops small cracks, which can be caused by factors such as thermal expansion and contraction, improper coating thickness, or exposure to chemicals.
- Delamination: This occurs due to intercoat or interfacial adhesion failure due to the presence of a weak boundary layer such as silicone or hydrocarbon oil contamination.
COATINGS FAILURE ANALYSIS
Failure Analysis and Investigation of Protective Coatings in Mining, Marine Offshore Oil & Gas Chemical Plants, Energy Infrastructure and Bridges (Ask the Experts)
Critical Questions for Protective Coatings for Asset Protection in Oil & Gas, LNG:
- Why is the coating not stopping corrosion?
- Why is the coating delaminating or blistering?
- Has the coating been correctly specified / applied?
- Does the coating meet the manufacturing standard, including properties such as correct hardness/cure, adhesion and thickness?
- What surface preparation and atmospheric conditions must be achieved to successfully apply the coating?
- Does the coating have any defects in it? How will these affect performance?
- Why did the coating fail? Root cause assessment.
- How can the coating be successfully repaired/remediated so that it doesn’t fail again?
ExcelPlas Labs can answer these questions and more…
MARKETING YOUR BRAND
PCN – Communicate Your Message Instantly with the Entire Global Protective Coatings Community
PCN is ideal for monitoring competitor activity and providing market intelligence
This newsletter is brought to you by ExcelPlas Coating Labs (http://www.excelplas.com/)
ExcelPlas Labs provides independent testing, analysis, and investigation on protective coatings to prevent corrosion.
ExcelPlas has extensive analytical capabilities for testing of Protective Coatings and Insulation Consulting for major oil and gas companies.
We conduct corrosion surveys, coating sampling, coating analysis, and testing to ensure coating specifications for a wide range of onshore and offshore clients in Australia and the Asia-Pacific Region.
ExcelPlas Labs offer a full range of coating testing and analytical services to Australia’s mining, oil, gas, and infrastructure sectors.
Forensic analysis for undertaking various coating-based failure investigations and problem-solving.
ExcelPlas Undertakes Analysis & Testing of Polymer Coating Systems including:
- Epoxy Protective Coatings
- Epoxy-Phenolic Protective Coatings
- Fusion bonded epoxy (FBE)
- Dual-Layer Fusion bonded epoxy (DLFBE)
- Liquid applied epoxy (LAE)
- Abrasion-resistant overcoat (ARO)
- Three-layer PE (3LPE)
- Multi-component liquid spray (MCL)
- Heat shrink sleeves (HSS)
Testing on Coatings that ExcelPlas can Undertake includes:
- Coating identification by Infra-red Analysis (FTIR)
- Degree of Cure by Thermal Analysis (DSC)
- Coating Filler Identification by X-ray Analysis (EDS/XRD)
- Coating Microstructure by Embedding, Polishing, and Optical Microscopy (OM)
- Coating Thermal Stability and Composition by Thermogravimetric Analysis (TGA)
DSC – Phase transition/volatiles / Tg / degree of cure/characterisation
TGA – Volatile compounds, inorganic mass % mix ratio
Element mapping for chlorides on paint flakes
Microscopy -Count layers and thickness of layers
- Assess porosity and voids
- Check distribution and orientation of filler particles
Condition monitoring and analysis of corrosion prevention coatings (epoxies, epoxy-phenolics)
Testing of Epoxy Coatings (LAE, FJC, FBE), heat shrink sleeves and tapes, barrier tapes, and meshes.
PCN is owned and operated by ExcelPlas Pty Ltd. By subscribing to PCN you agree to receive regular PCN newsletters as well as the PCN platform using your email contact details to enhance the performance and functionality of PCN and its analytics reports. These email contact details allow PCN to track page views and create more targeted and relevant content. PCN provides an unsubscribe link at the bottom of each PCN newsletter.