PCN – Communicating News In Protective Coatings Globally in Real-Time
Leading Source of Industry News on Protective Coatings for Oil & Gas, Pipelines, Marine and Construction
NEWSMAKERS: * Coating Condition Survey * Corrosion Under Insulation * CUI * DULUX * DUREMAX™ GFX * ExcelPlas Labs * Epoxy Phenolic Coatings * Evonik * Failure Analysis * FBE * Graphene Oxide * Hempel * Humidur™ * Jotun * LNG * Matrix Composite Engineering * PCN * Protective Coatings * Self-Healing Coatings * Sherwin Williams * Smart Coatings
New Study Examines the Resistance of Humidur™ Epoxy Coating to CUI in a Simulated LNG Plant Environment [PDF]
Sherwin-Williams Launches Ultra-High-Solids Epoxy Coating for CUI Protection in LNG Plants
CUI-mitigation coating strengthens current line-up for best resistance to corrosion under insulation.
Hempel Gets New Executive – Chief Transformation and Information Officer (CTIO) and Executive Vice President of Digital, Strategy and Transformation
Jotun Coatings Post Impressive Numbers for the Start of 2023
JOTUN Patent New Siloxane Coating with Zinc Particles [PDF]
Understanding the Corporate Structure and Network of JOTUN Companies [PDF]
Understanding Chemical Resistance of Epoxy Protective Coatings by Evonik [PDF]
Dulux Marine Wharf and LNG Plant Coating Coatings that Stand the Test of Time
DUREMAX® GFX is an ultra-premium, high solids, high build glass flake surface-tolerant epoxy with greatly enhanced resistance against corrosion.
Improving Corrosion Resistance of Epoxy Coatings by Optimizing the Stress Distribution and Dispersion of SiO2 Filler
Corrosion Resistance of CeO2-GO/Epoxy Nanocomposite Coating in Simulated Seawater
Progress in the Graphene Oxide-Based Composite Coatings for Anticorrosion of Metal Materials [PDF]
Durable Self-Healing Coating System Based on pH-Responsive Core-Shell Nanostructures
Corrosion Inhibition Performance of Developed Epoxy Coatings Containing Carbon Nanocapsules Loaded with Diethylenetriamine
The Zrc and Ti-Ni Nanostructures in Epoxy Coatings: An Anticorrosion and Tribological Study
Evaluating the Corrosion under Insulation
Evaluation of Epoxy-Based Coating Degradation Under Thermal Insulation at Elevated Temperatures on Different Steel Substrates
Degradation and Lifetime Prediction of Epoxy Composite Coatings under High Relative Humidity
Self-Healing Epoxy Composite Coating Based on pH-responsive PCN-222 Smart Containers for Long-term Anticorrosion
Fabrication of Biochar-Based Superhydrophobic Coating on Steel Substrate and its UV Resistance, Anti-Scaling, and Corrosion Resistance Performance
Exploring Epoxy Coating Failures with ExcelPlas
While epoxy coatings are generally durable and effective at preventing corrosion, there are a few common types of epoxy coating failures that can occur:
- Adhesion failure: This occurs when the epoxy coating fails to properly adhere to the surface of the pipe, which can be caused by factors such as improper surface preparation or a poorly formulated coating. Adhesion failure can result in the coating peeling or flaking off, exposing the underlying steel surface to corrosion.
- Blistering: This occurs when small bubbles or blisters form on the surface of the epoxy coating, which can be caused by improper surface preparation, moisture contamination, or excessive heat during curing.
- Cracking: This occurs when the epoxy coating develops small cracks, which can be caused by factors such as thermal expansion and contraction, improper coating thickness, or exposure to chemicals.
- Delamination: This occurs due to intercoat or interfacial adhesion failure due to the presence of a weak boundary layer such as silicone or hydrocarbon oil contamination.
COATINGS FAILURE ANALYSIS
Failure Analysis and Investigation of Protective Coatings in Mining, Marine Offshore Oil & Gas Chemical Plants, Energy Infrastructure and Bridges (Ask the Experts)
Critical Questions for Protective Coatings for Asset Protection in Oil & Gas, LNG:
- Why is the coating not stopping corrosion?
- Why is the coating delaminating or blistering?
- Has the coating been correctly specified / applied?
- Does the coating meet the manufacturing standard, including properties such as correct hardness/cure, adhesion and thickness?
- What surface preparation and atmospheric conditions must be achieved to successfully apply the coating?
- Does the coating have any defects in it? How will these affect performance?
- Why did the coating fail? Root cause assessment.
- How can the coating be successfully repaired/remediated so that it doesn’t fail again?
ExcelPlas Labs can answer these questions and more…
MARKETING YOUR BRAND
PCN – Communicate Your Message Instantly with the Entire Global Protective Coatings Community
PCN is ideal for monitoring competitor activity and providing market intelligence
This newsletter is brought to you by ExcelPlas Coating Labs (http://www.excelplas.com/)
ExcelPlas Labs provides independent testing, analysis, and investigation on protective coatings to prevent corrosion.
ExcelPlas has extensive analytical capabilities for testing of Protective Coatings and Insulation Consulting for major oil and gas companies.
We conduct corrosion surveys, coating sampling, coating analysis, and testing to ensure coating specifications for a wide range of onshore and offshore clients in Australia and the Asia-Pacific Region.
ExcelPlas Labs offer a full range of coating testing and analytical services to Australia’s mining, oil, gas, and infrastructure sectors.
Forensic analysis for undertaking various coating-based failure investigations and problem-solving.
ExcelPlas Undertakes Analysis & Testing of Polymer Coating Systems including:
- Epoxy Protective Coatings
- Epoxy-Phenolic Protective Coatings
- Fusion bonded epoxy (FBE)
- Dual-Layer Fusion bonded epoxy (DLFBE)
- Liquid applied epoxy (LAE)
- Abrasion-resistant overcoat (ARO)
- Three-layer PE (3LPE)
- Multi-component liquid spray (MCL)
- Heat shrink sleeves (HSS)
Testing on Coatings that ExcelPlas can Undertake includes:
- Coating identification by Infra-red Analysis (FTIR)
- Degree of Cure by Thermal Analysis (DSC)
- Coating Filler Identification by X-ray Analysis (EDS/XRD)
- Coating Microstructure by Embedding, Polishing, and Optical Microscopy (OM)
- Coating Thermal Stability and Composition by Thermogravimetric Analysis (TGA)
DSC – Phase transition/volatiles / Tg / degree of cure/characterisation
TGA – Volatile compounds, inorganic mass % mix ratio
Element mapping for chlorides on paint flakes
Microscopy -Count layers and thickness of layers
- Assess porosity and voids
- Check distribution and orientation of filler particles
Condition monitoring and analysis of corrosion prevention coatings (epoxies, epoxy-phenolics)
Testing of Epoxy Coatings (LAE, FJC, FBE), heat shrink sleeves and tapes, barrier tapes, and meshes.
PCN is owned and operated by ExcelPlas Pty Ltd. By subscribing to PCN you agree to receive regular PCN newsletters as well as the PCN platform using your email contact details to enhance the performance and functionality of PCN and its analytics reports. These email contact details allow PCN to track page views and create more targeted and relevant content. PCN provides an unsubscribe link at the bottom of each PCN newsletter.